Friday, February 1, 2013

Tru Restaurant and Lounge

I officially feel like an adult. Yesterday I went shopping for suits. Suits. I still can't even believe it. When did I get so old?

Since I know zilch about buying business attire, my mom came down for the afternoon to help me out. We were pretty successful and I came out with a few blazers, skirts and dresses. No luck in the pants department though - finding black dress pants to fit my 5 foot frame is nearly impossible!

After we were all shopped out, we headed over to Tru Restaurant and Lounge for our 5 pm reservation. We've been wanting to try out this restaurant for ages, so Londonlicious was the perfect excuse to finally go. An appetizer, entree and dessert all for just $30 is a deal you can't turn down!


For my appetizer I went with the beet and goat cheese salad with balsamic vinaigrette, which is always a favourite of mine. I was disappointed that there were only a few beets in the salad, but it was otherwise good! I also had to leave off the walnuts because of my allergies, so it definitely felt like it was missing something.


For my entree I got the salmon with crab, mushroom and spinach risotto, arugula and garlic grape cherry tomatoes. This was fabulous! The salmon was cooked very nicely, but the highlight was definitely the risotto. I don't recall there actually being any crab on my plate though!


Dessert was the best part of the night. I got the vanilla cheesecake on a graham cracker crust with raspberry compote and chocolate sauce. And it was every bit as good as it looks! Also I was really glad to see it was the good kind of cheesecake that is baked - not the raw kind.


My mom loved her meal too. She started with crab fritters with lime chili plum sauce, ordered the four mushroom risotto with mascarpone and Grana Padano cheese for her entree, and got the lemon blueberry tart for dessert.


I'm so glad I finally got to try out Tru. While the food isn't especially creative, it is good food and everything was made very well. I would definitely go back!

When is your city's restaurant week? Did you participate in the last one?

Cheesecake or pie/tarts - which do you prefer? 
 
Tru Restaurant on Urbanspoon

13 comments:

  1. Both you and your mom look like you had fabulous meals! I haven't been to Tru before, but my parents have been a couple of times for anniversaries and such, and they love it. My mom maintains to this day that they have the best Caesar salad she's ever had. I don't know if/when Brantford has a restaurant week - I need to look into that!

    I think I would always go with cheesecake...although a lemon meringue pie would make me second guess that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how nicer restaurants like that actually have reasonable portions. If you had ordered that risotto at Kelsey's or something, it would probably be overflowing from your plate. That meal looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheesecakes for sure!!! And shopping for suits made me laugh. When I was interviewing for teaching jobs and had to wear suits I was like UGH! I don't wear them anymore... NOw I'm all about dresses and skirts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks amazing! I'm actually not a cheesecake fan but give me anything chocolate and I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM- Tru looks awesome and I'm pretty sure I would have picked the same dishes as you did! Cheesecake is my all-time favorite dessert and the sound of a graham cracker crust sounds heavenly! We have restaurant week coming up in April, and I will definitely be participating this year!

    Is there a Zara in Canada? Their trousers have a great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm that salmon looks good. I actually have never been a fan of cheesecake, not a flavor I like that much

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pittsburgh's restaurant week for winter was a few weeks ago but Joe and I are already planning hitting it up in August/September! Can't wait...and that cheesecake looks heavenly! All your food does actually...I love being able to get meals like that for an affordable price :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember things feeling completely surreal the first time I had to go out shopping for suits as well. And then actually having to dress up for work? The 'real world' is a strange place ;) And this might make me strange, but I actually don't enjoy cheesecake much at all. Give me a good tart, or preferably a slice of chocolate cake, any day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE restaurant weeks! We went to ours a few weeks ago! Ah interview shopping, I always have to get pants and skirts altered to fit correctly. You might want to look into that option! O I know interview dresses are really big not too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmhmm yes goat cheese :) I agree on the baked cheesecake, it really is better and just more original and familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. .....people eat cheesecake RAW? um WTF is that even safe?!? Clearly I know nothing about food lol. That restaurant looks like something I'd try out though - love me some beet salad! I'm not sure if Colorado Springs has restaurant week...but since my mom's here we've eaten out three times so I'm pretty satisfied lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your "official" adulthood!! ;) I remember when I went shopping for my first suits too--it felt so strange, yet somewhat exciting. :D Have you ever browsed the Ann Taylor Loft website? They have a wonderful petites line! You might be able to find pants there; my bff is 5'0 and buys most of her work attire on their website. It might be worth checking out!

    Your meal at Tru looks wonderful! I think my orders would have been exactly the same as yours--goat cheese/beet salads are a favorite; I almost always order salmon when it's featured on a menu (unless scallops are available ;) ); and cheesecake is my #1 dessert, hands down. Great choices, lady! :D

    I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete