Saturday, January 5, 2013

White bean, turkey sausage, and kale soup

I hate goodbyes.

On Thursday we dropped my sister off at the airport to fly back to school - and we might not see her again until May! My whole family was pretty bummed about her leaving, so we wanted something comforting for dinner. I made Ellie Krieger's baked penne with cauliflower and cheese from the February issue of Fine Cooking, which was the perfect healthy comfort food dinner.


It used cauliflower puree as a substitute for the usual roux (butter and flour) used to make macaroni and cheese, and I was really impressed with how good it tasted! On the side I made a warm mushroom and arugula salad with shaved Parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts.

And while we're on the subject of healthy comfort food, how about some soup? This protein-packed soup has more than a serving of leafy greens per bowl and makes a perfect cold weather meal paired with some homemade Irish soda bread!


White bean, turkey sausage and kale soup
Serves 4-6

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, cut in half and sliced
2 stalks of celery, sliced
7 cups of chicken broth
Parmesan rind
2 cups cooked white beans
4 turkey sausages, cooked and sliced
7-8 cups chopped kale
Salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese for topping

Heat up the olive oil in a large soup pot, then add the onion and lower the heat. Slowly cook over very low heat for 7-10 minutes, then add the carrot and celery. Cook for another 10 minutes with the lid on, then add the broth and Parmesan rind. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, then cook covered for 20 minutes. Add the white beans, cooked sausage and kale, then cook for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.


How do you make comfort food dishes healthier?

What is your favourite winter soup?

17 comments:

  1. Mmmm delicious! I love making soups this time of year, since they're super easy and tasty...definitely adding this to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so hearty and warm! Yummy, yummy. I have a serious soft spot for chicken and dumplings...so. good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soups are an absolute must in cold weather...I've been making them a lot lately! I'm a bit fan of pureed squash or sweet potato soup. If I'm trying to healthify a comfort food, I usually reduce the butter, replace the milk with a lower fat (or almond) milk, less crust/breadcrumbs...something along those lines! I like the idea of replacing a roux with cauliflower, that's clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea with that cauliflower puree, so smart! That soup looks great too. I'm not a big soup fan unless it's hearty and filling and that stuff look bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both meals look amazing, Chelsea! I love the idea of using cauliflower puree as a roux! That's actually a frequent problem I run into with gluten free cooking; sometimes I'll substitute corn starch, but it's just not the same. I'm definitely going to try this technique!

    I love Ellie Krieger's recipes, and would love to give the baked penne a try! The soup is something I know I'd really enjoy, too - especially because it contains kale, something I haven't been able to get enough of lately. My favorite winter soup is either broccoli-cheddar or potato cheddar. Both are so comforting!

    Hope you're enjoying your weekend, dear friend! xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive seen so many recipes for Kale soup, need to make asap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have never really found a way to enjoy kale because I don't like it alone but this is a great way to try it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely making this! I have never thought of a cauliflower puree to replace a roux! I will be trying that too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMMMMMMM comfort food! Okay, the cheesy noodles are what's really calling my name here haha. I have had a white bean/kale soup before (I think it was at Whole Foods?), but turkey sausage would be an awesome addition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried turkey sausage but it the soup sounds lovely. I'm big into making soups at the moment. My current love is chicken soup with lots of veg!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This soup looks so good! I love soup in the winter! Perfect comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ellie Kreiger has some good recipes! I love her whole wheat pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at kale & turkey sausage!
    Right now anything with warm carbs and nut butters are considered a comfort meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wanted to try a turkey soup like this. Looks really good Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every time I visit your blog, I end up leaving super hungry. You have a real talent for creating recipes and photographing dishes; and I love how you're always trying new things! Share some of that culinary genius with me? :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love finding healthy variations of classic comfort food! I love me some mac n' cheese, but it can be a bit heavy. Just because I'm looking to food for "comfort", doesn't mean I want to be in a coma for the rest of the day! I'm definitely curious about this cauliflower "roux". I've heard of it once before, but never knew it if was really worth it to try.

    The soup looks fantastic! I remember the first time I added parm rind to a soup I was making...love the flavor it lends! I'm definitely not picky when it comes to soup, but right now, I could really go for a creamy tomato and some grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete