Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Boston: Day 1

Well... today didn't turn out how I was expecting. At all!

It started out great. I was up and at 'em at 6:15 to get in a workout at the gym. I wasn't feeling anything too intense, so I just did a 10 minute warm up on the elliptical, 25 minutes of free weights, and 10 minutes of walking on an incline on the treadmill. Even if I don't get my heart rate up too much, it's still nice to start off the day with some movement!

I came home, jumped in the shower and then gobbled down a quick breakfast of vanilla Greek yogurt, Nature's Path bran cereal, Kashi Honey Almond Flax, a banana, blueberries and raspberries.


After doing some last minute packing, I set out on my merry way to the airport to meet Meg! We were so excited when we found each other and we couldn't stop chatting about the trip ahead of us! It took a while to check our baggage and get through customs, but then we finally got to the gates with half an hour to spare til we had to board.


We were both hungry at this point so Meg ordered some lunch at an airport restaurant and I ate the lunch I had packed with leftovers from last night: baby spinach topped with smoked salmon, roasted red peppers and zucchini, heirloom cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, fleur de mont cheese, and some olive oil and balsamic. On the side I had two pieces of my sister's homemade multigrain bread.


Right after we finished chowing down we rushed to the gate to board, but when we got there, it was pretty empty. What the heck!?!? We asked someone who was sitting down and they said our flight was cancelled!!!! Cue freakout time. I'd never had this happen to me before so I was close to tears! We ended up standing in line at the Air Canada help desk for ages before they finally told us that we were all being put on the next flight at 2:50. I was literally jumping for joy that we could leave so soon! But when we got to the gate for our new flight, we received even more bad news: the flight was delayed until 4 pm. Can you believe it?! Luck was definitely against us today.

But on the plus side we met a new friend named Jing Ming who randomly also has a blog! Here we are nerding it up on our laptops:


Once we boarded we found out the plane was delayed again because of some bad weather. My gosh what a bad day for flying! When we finally landed in Boston it was past 6 pm, so our plans to explore Boston all afternoon definitely didn't happen. Instead of exploring, we booked it to the hotel and grabbed dinner at the hotel restaurant: Zephyr on the Charles.

We had to wait a long time to get a table and even longer to actually get our meals! Luckily they brought us out some bread so I could tide myself over with a piece. It came with a honey mustard sauce, which I thought was a random pairing with bread, but it was good!


Our entrees finally came out 45 minutes after we placed our order. We were both so hungry by this point! I got the Cobb salad, which was a big bowl of romaine with grilled chicken, bacon, blue cheese, egg, tomato, avocado and a lemon Dijon dressing. It was awesome and so filling thanks to all the fat and protein.


Overall the food was pretty decent and our waitress was great, but it seems like the overall service and timing at the restaurant is lacking - we heard many other tables complaining about their wait times too! So we probably won't be going back there on this trip.

Zephyr on the Charles on Urbanspoon

After dinner we walked about 20 minutes over to the Whole Foods on River Street. It was funny to watch Meg in the store since it was her first time in a WF, and she was so awed by everything there! I could relate though because I acted exact same way the first time I went to a WF store too.


We both spent so long drooling at this wall of Greek yogurt - it's like five times the selection of Greek yogurt available in Canada!


I picked up a few snacks to enjoy over the weekend as well as some foods we don't get in Canada to take home with me. From left to right: Back to Nature Vanilla Almond Agave granola, Golden Girl maple and almond granola, Back to Nature apple cinnamon graham crackers, almond milk, vanilla Greek yogurt (Oikos, Chobani and Siggi's), bananas, Yogi Egyptian licorice tea, apples and blueberries.


Something tells me we'll be going back to pick up some more goodies to take home before the end of the week. I hope I have enough room in my suitcase! ;)

Now we're both just chilling in bed and blogging. But I think I'm going to turn in for the night soon - we've got a long day of exploring, shopping and eating ahead of us tomorrow. Good night!

Have you ever had a flight cancelled or other flight problems?

What's your favourite thing to buy at WF?

13 comments:

  1. Ugh, airport travel is such a bummer. I'm glad you finally made it there safely. Cannot wait to hear about the conference!

    I was flying from Virginia to California last summer and my flight was cancelled after we waited for 4 hours. It was a late flight, so I wasn't able to board until the next morning and ended up sleeping in the airport. Then they lost my luggage. Yes, I cried. A lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no sorry about the flight troubles! At least you arrived safe and sounds and are there now!! Wish I went a bit earlier! I get in around 6 tomorrow night...and I have to deal with the lame time difference as well...not the best;) But its all worth it!
    Love the goodies you picked up!! I'll have to go to Whole Foods tomorrow I suppose! I've never been!
    Can't wait to see you SOOO soon now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your travel troubles, but I'm so glad you girls made it!! We are supposed to have storms in St. Louis today, so I really hope that doesn't delay my flight! Can't wait to see you!!!! Favorite thing from WF is probably nutritional yeast just because I haven't found it anywhere else and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ughhh flying can be such crap sometimes! There was definitely some crap weather moving up the east coast yesterday though, but still. rarr. I think the only bad flying experience I’ve had like that was when I went to Sicily. I forget what was wrong with the plane, but we sat on the runway for about three hours before taking off. it SUCKED haha. Hope you two have fun in Boston!! My favorite city ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man I'm glad yall finally made it, what a crazy experience! Looks like you're already having a blast though, especially with all that epic whole foods loot ;)
    Enjoy every second of your trip, can't wait to hear about the adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwr sorry about the flight troubles, girl :( Those are the absolute worst. But at least you got to Boston safe and sound in the end, and have lots to look forward to over the next few days with HLS :)

    Lol I remember the first time I went in to WF too... I was seriously like a little kid in a candy store! The selection of Greek yogurt that those lucky Americans have is crazy! And the same goes for all the other random goodies. I ended up packing a good amount of food into my suitcase, and the same will probably be true the next time I'm in the States :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - how crazy! I'm glad y'all made it there okay. I've had a lot of flight problems in my day, but luckily I haven't had a cancellation (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about the flight problems! That's so funny that you met another blogger. Guess what? I can't wait to see you guys, yay!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! I would have freaked over the flights too -- but you guys made it on the same day and I'd call that a success!!

    Honey mustard + pretzel bread = perfection! yum!

    PS You two look so adorable!! :) I wish I was with you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and Meg look SO super cute in the airport! I would be in panic about the empty area too! Glad you girls made it though. Haha I also love the foodie in you needing to get supplies there that we don't have here. One time I made an actual list of things that I knew I needed to get haha.

    I hope you guys have such an amazing time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ugh, that sounds so nightmareish!

    I'm glad you two made it down though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I HATE traveling just because flying is so unreliable. Glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete