Thursday, May 31, 2012

Get naked

Well, I bet that title grabbed your attention, huh? But it's probably not what you're expecting - it only refers to the delicious dinner I enjoyed at The Naked Sprout, a raw and vegan cafe in Burlington.


I first heard of this cafe last year, but I didn't think I would be able to eat there because of my nut allergies. But my aunt bought me a gift certificate to it for my birthday and the employees assured her that I would be fine to eat their food. This made me so excited to try it out! If you're reading this aunt Tracey, thank you for such a thoughtful gift! :)

So last night I went with my best friend Lauren, who is always willing to try out all sorts of cuisines with me. We spent ages looking at their menu because everything on it sounded amazing! Big Green Earth Salad? Ravishing Rawsagna? Pete's Power Protein Bowl? We couldn't decide!

We ended up splitting the Sunshine Sushi for an appetizer, which was kelp noodles, basil, cilantro, avocado, red pepper, carrots, cucumbers, and dehydrated sweet potato wrapped in nori with a hemp wasabi dipping sauce. It was a little hard to eat because it fell apart easily, but it was so good that I didn't even mind.


For my entree I got the Soba Noodle Bowl with soba noodles, grilled tempeh, red peppers, onions, massaged kale, steamed broccoli, and a sesame ginger sauce. The marinade for the tempeh was so flavourful and the dish overall was amazing!


Their store-made desserts all contained nuts so I couldn't eat those, but they also served some baked goods from Kindfood that are safe for my allergies. But Lauren and I were both pretty full, so we decided to just try dessert next time. And there will definitely be a next time. There are so many other dishes there I want to try! Plus Lauren is the biggest sweetheart and she paid for my dinner as a belated birthday gift (Thanks Lauren!) - so I'll have to go back to use my gift certificate soon!

Do you like raw and/or vegan food?

What's the best meal you've ordered from a raw and/or vegan restaurant?

Naked Sprout on Urbanspoon

12 comments:

  1. everythign sounds AMAZING!!!! I love vegan/raw/plant based foods (my sister calls it “hipster food” hahahha) so...I’m super jealous that you have a restaurant like this near you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge raw food advocate. I work with Carol Alt who is a huge Raw food activist and she's rubbed off on me! I could never do it as my whole diet but I think it's really good for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loooove it! This food looks awesome. I haven't been to a restaurant like this before, but I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pretty much eat anything! Meat or vegan, as long as it tastes good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW this place looks amazing! I wish I lived nearby and could try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love raw food, but I've never had anything as creative as you had! I wish there were some completely raw and vegan restaurants near me so I'd have more options when I go out to eat. Raw desserts are definitely my fave and luckily easy to make at home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SOBA noodles for the win!

    This might sound stupid: I like raw foods more in the summer. Bring on the salads, lighter foods, etc. But in the winter, I really want things to be warm. Logical, right? And I'm all for a vegan meal now and then -- good food is good food, however you label it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That restaurant sounds cray cray good! I eat on such extreme ends, I don't mind raw food, vegan food, or meals with meat :) I've only been to a raw restaurant once and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i went to a raw vegan cooking class once and loved it! besides that location though i don't know of any other restaurants like that... i wish there were more because it was so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog! Very cool! Are you from Vermont? I love it there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love The Naked Sprout! It's hard to pick a favourite dish but I really liked Somebody Kelp Me! and the vanilla berry cheesecake there. Other raw restaurants I like are Raw Aura (nachos, lasagna and the pizza, mmmmm) and Live Food Bar (bowls of goodness!)

    ReplyDelete