Saturday, May 5, 2012

Diners, Drive ins and Moosewood

This food tour has been amazing so far, but I think all this eating is starting to take a toll on us. Our pants are feeling tighter, our stomachs are always hurting from being so full, and we're definitely getting a little cranky with each other. I think we're all looking forward to a big salad tonight when we get home!

But until then, we've still been going strong with eating. Yesterday morning we went to Becky's Diner in Portland, Maine. We saw this place on Diners, Drive ins and Dives so we knew we had to make a point to stop there on our trip!


I got a fruit bowl and oatmeal with raisins. Even when I'm eating out, I still like to order my favourite breakfast if it's available!


Becky's Diner on Urbanspoon

We drove pretty much all morning straight to Chicopee, Massachusetts where we stopped for lunch at Chipotle. This was my first time eating there and I was really looking forward to it because I've always heard about how good it is. Also, I love that they're a fast food restaurant that uses fresh and sustainable ingredients.

I ordered a burrito bowl with brown rice, a double scoop of black beans, fresh salsa, corn salsa, lettuce, fajita veggies, and a ginormous scoop of guacamole. This was so good, but so filling! Also it was super salty, so I felt bloaty for the rest of the day.


We drove for most of the afternoon but made a stop in Albany NY for some shopping. We had to speed shop though because we needed to make it to Ithaca, NY for dinner at Moosewood Restaurant. I was so excited about this because I've been wanting to eat here for years - I have three of their cookbooks at home and love them all! For those of you who aren't familiar with Moosewood, it's restaurant started in 1973 that serves a blend of ethnic dishes and classic comfort foods with a vegetarian spin.


My mom was a bit iffy about eating here because she's not a big vegetarian food lover, but she says she was pleasantly surprised with her meal and really enjoyed it! I think it's because rather than trying to replace meat in their meals, instead they focus on creating wholesome and homemade food that tastes good just the way it is.

I ordered the mu shu pancake, which came with a starter salad. It was just your average salad, but the honey Dijon dressing was awesome!


And I was majorly impressed by my entree! It had cabbage, carrots, peppers, onion, shiitake mushrooms, and mung sprouts sauteed with sesame, ginger and soy sauce in a whole wheat wrap over brown rice with hoison sauce, Ithaca organic tofu, and snow peas.


It tasted healthy and fresh - not greasy like the dishes you would get at a Chinese food restaurant. I was stuffed after eating all this, but my mom knew I wanted to try their dessert, so she ordered me their vegan chocolate cake just so I could try one bite. But I ended up eating a lot more than just one bite because it was so good! Neither of us could believe that it was vegan!


Moosewood Restaurant on Urbanspoon

I feel like this is all I've been saying, but I was seriously stuffed after this dinner! So we walked around downtown Ithaca for a while to help digest our food. It's such a cute little town with so much character!

Today we're making the drive back home, with a few stops for shopping and one last restaurant for our food tour. And after that, I don't want to go to another restaurant for at least two weeks!

What is one restaurant that you really want to visit?

How do you stay healthy when you're on a trip and have to eat out for every meal?

12 comments:

  1. That fruit bowl with your breakfast is so colorful and tasty looking! And holy cow does that vegan dessert look delicious, I wouldn't have been able to have only one bite either haha
    I really want to visit PB&co in new York city one day! It looks so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, all your food looks delicious. I don't blame you for not wanting to step foot in another restaurant for a while! Looks like you got your fix! At least you got to experiment eating at different restaurants. I think it can be hard when you are on a trip and are eating out, but I try to bring some healthy snacks with me and maybe a couple breakfast items and mostly stay clear of the fatty rich dishes. Unless, its something I've been dying to try. Have a safe trip back home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything looks so good where do i begin?? i love visiting places from diners, drive ins and dives. and chipotle is my all time favorite place! their guacamole is theee best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, yes, their guac is amazing! And I love that they give you such a huge scoop of it!

      Delete
  4. Wow everything looks amazing, you sure are getting to try out lots of restaurants! Usually when my family goes on vacations we find a grocery store and end up buying some stuff for most of our meals and only eat out once a day. We do it more because we like to save money rather than trying to be healthier though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am working on that -- the more I learn that I don't have to finish, the more I realize that I can eat out and not feel weighed down! I also don't have any problem ordering a salad and a sandwich now and again or asking to find a salad bar for my sanity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. all that food looks delish! i made smart decisions, but still enjoy my indulgences because it is vacation and i know it doesn't happen everyday. i also workout... i love working out in new places and new gyms. (yes i'm a weirdo haha)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to go to Moosewood!! I have a few of their cookbooks and it's definitely on my list. My Mom and I try to go find places from cupcake wars. They're almost always sold out though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to go to Moosewood! Hopefully I'll be able to before I graduate. I always try to order smart options when I'm out - things I'd make myself at home, nothing really fried or anything. I also bring snacks so I can have a salad if I don't like the menu and still get some food. :) I'm glad you're having fun here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of this looks really delicious, especially the mu shu pancake! Also I adore guacamole so that would have been a brilliant choice for me too :) When I'm traveling I've learnt that it's good to order a side of some form of veg and that I don't have to finish everything on my plate. Having said that, the most important thing I've learnt that if I have to eat out a lot I should just let myself enjoy it and not worry too much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello my friend! I wish to say that this article is amazing, nice written and include almost all important infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

    ReplyDelete