Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fishy eats

Good morning and happy Sunday everyone! I'm feeling cheery today because yesterday I wrote my first (and what I think will end up being my hardest) exam, and I'm so glad to have it out of the way. To celebrate after, Meg and I went out for sushi - although to be honest, this is more of a standard routine than a celebration for us since we are always going out for sushi! But this time we went somewhere new: O"Zen.



It's a tiny little place located right downtown on Richmond Street and it would be easy to walk by it without even noticing it. But that would be a mistake because this place is amazing!

I ordered the wakame salad, which was the only disappointing part of my meal. I found that the dressing wasn't as flavourful as it is at other restaurants and it was also a very small portion for the price.



But the sushi made up for it! I ordered a salmon roll + a tuna/avocado roll, which were both amazing. They had very generous portions of fish!



I also got an order of salmon sashimi so that I could enjoy it plain in all its glory. It was so soft and fresh. And again, it was a huge portion!



This sushi marks the third time this week that I've eaten fish! I've really been trying to eat it twice a week lately, as the Canadian Food Guide recommends, because of all of the amazing benefits of fish.

I'm sure you're all aware of the health properties of omega 3's in fish, which I've already written a post about, so I won't repeat myself again. But on top of healthy fats, fish is also a great source of:

- Protein
- Vitamin D (more than 50% of your daily needs in a 4-oz serving!)
- Phosphorus
- Niacin
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12

So you can definitely see why it's such a nutritious choice - and delicious too! Salmon is my favourite fish, but I also love trout, arctic char, halibut and tuna. I made salmon twice this week using my two favourite recipes:

Maple Dijon glazed salmon, wild rice, roasted Brussels spouts and carrots



Maple Dijon glazed salmon
Serves 1

1 salmon fillet
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp Dijon
Salt and pepper

Mix the ingredients together then pour it over the salmon and bake at 375°F for about 15 minutes or until it begins to flake.

Dijon herb salmon on a spinach salad with roasted vegetables



Dijon herb salmon
Serves 1

1 salmon fillet
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp each of rosemary, oregano, thyme
Salt and pepper

Mix the ingredients together and pour it over the salmon then bake at 375°F for about 15 minutes or until it begins to flake.

What's your favourite kind of fish? Favourite way to prepare it?

How many times per week do you eat fish?

Ozen on Urbanspoon

19 comments:

  1. Oh my word that salmon sashimi looks divine!!! I could nosh on fish every meal, especially grilled Mahi Mahi mmmmmmm :)
    Congrats on finishing your hard exam!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your dijon herb salmon looks like one I do :D TWINNIES!

    Haha, I forgot to say that the salad was small when you got it :s SO happy the sushi made up for it :D YAY FOR BIG PORTIONS ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So THIS is the sushi place I need to go to for my initiation? Done and done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when sushi restaurants skimp on the fish filling- glad Ozen was generous :)! I eat a lot of calimari & shrimp although salmon is undoubtedly my favorite! I had some last night in the form of a smoked salmon & goat cheese sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Look at all that fish in the sushi! I hate ordering sushi and it's mostly rice, the places that give a better portion of fish I tend to go to over and over again. I like all kinds of fish, but I probably eat salmon and cod the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you add maple syrup to your recipe for a hint of sweetness! Def will try this! I occassionally eat fish... Not on a weekly basis, but maybe I'll try incorporating more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm the salmon sashimi looks so so good! The salmon recipe is great too... preparing it with a sweet taste is definitely my favorite way to eat salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looooove sushi and sashimi!! And your salmon looks amazing. I used to eat fish a ton, but I have been slacking lately! Definitely going to try your way of preparing it. I've made it with maple syrup before and I LOVE the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow that is like the smallest "salad" (pinch of greens? lol) I've ever seen! The rest of the meal looks like it made up for it though, I like sushi best when there's more fish than rice for sure. Your salmon recipes look fantastic too - I'm not a huge fan of salmon but i force myself to eat it once a week cuz its so good for you too. I'll have to try your recipes and see if that helps lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks so good! I haven't had sushi in so long, and now I'm craving it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sushi, but just can not get into the fish! I wish I liked it, since fish is so good for you. Just can't get over the texture or smell I guess! That salad is so small, I would not be impressed ;) Have an awesome Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE salmon! I went to British Colombia for six weeks last summer and we ate sooo much salmon! It was so good. Thanks for the recipes, I will have to splurge on it soon (I'm landlocked, so good seafood is expensive) and try the maple one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok now you have got me wanting sushi sushi and more sushi...and your salmon recipes look delish!! Too bad a MUST control myself and not buy new salmon as a have copious amounts of other fish to be consumed in the freezer before the end of exams...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I eat seafood 3-4 times per week. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really bad at eating fish/seafood, although I love it! I do eat tuna probably twice a week. I am really fussy with fish and only eat it if it has been freshly caught (snob I know!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now THAT is what I call sushi! Look at those fat rolls of goodness! I hate it when you order something at a sushi place and it comes out small...my favorite place here in town has killer rolls but charges out the you know what for the sashimi...$2 dollars for ONE piece! That is just crazy talk!
    Gah, it's been like a month since I've gone out for sushi and now you've got me craving it! I try to eat fish at least a couple of times a week...salmon is always my go-to fish since it's got such a good nutritional rap, but I really can't discriminate when it comes to fish. I like tuna, mahi mahi, cod, halibut, and a couple of summers ago I tried swordfish for the first time and loved it! Of course when BB's around, I get my fill of any and all seafood...I don't think the boy could EVER turn down a shrimp! Haha! But at least I know he's also faithful to his veggies...at least when I'm around to make sure he's eating them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sushi is the best way to celebrate after an exam! I bet you did awesome. I've been trying to eat more fish too. I've been loving mahi mahi!

    ReplyDelete
  18. yum i love the simplicity of these recipes. easy to make for myself on a wednesday night! pinned ya darlin'! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I actually eat fish EVERY single day! I am so obsessed with it, especially salmon skin and salmon belly. But oh wait, I also ADORE hamachi, steelhead trout, arctic char, chilean sea bass and unagi!

    ReplyDelete