Friday, January 6, 2012

How to set up your spin bike

I've been going to spin classes every few weeks for the past two years. I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, but I at least figured I knew what I was doing. But apparently not! This week when I went to a spin class at my home gym, the instructor noticed me on my bike before class and came over to help me readjust. I had no idea I'd been setting up my bike improperly this whole time!

I figured some of you guys might be in the same boat, so I decided to pass along to you guys what the instructor told me. I hope you find it helpful!

Seat height

Place one foot on top of the overturned pedal (so that the foot cage is on the bottom of the pedal) and rotate the pedal until it is at the bottom. Your leg should be almost straight with just the slightest bend.



Seat position

Flip over the pedals and put your feet into the foot cages. Then rotate the pedals so that your feet are at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock (both feet are at the same height off of the floor). The front of your knee should be directly above the middle of the pedal. If you are unsure, have a friend check if they line up.



Handlebar height

The handlebars should be at just about the same height as your seat or a little higher if that is more comfortable.



If you are still not sure if your position is correct, ask your spin instructor to give you a hand. They are always more than happy to help!

(Pictures taken from spinning.com)


Later on that day I went out to run some errands. I ended up scoring some great deals at Old Navy and later at the thrift store! I found an old Moosewood cookbook from the 80's and another one written by Mollie Katzen, who founded the Moosewood Restaurant and wrote their original cookbook. Moosewood always has the most amazing vegetarian recipes, so I can't wait to browse through these!



I also found books on triathalons and running (to help me come up with some training plans for racing this year) and Jillian Michael's Making the Cut. They were only $4 each, so I figured why not?



I'm excited to start signing up for some races for this spring/summer! I definitely want to do a 5K and 10K, and hopefully a triathalon too.

Do you like spin class? Did someone teach you how to set up your bike?

Do you ever go thrifting? Have you ever had a lucky find at a thrift store?

Do you have any upcoming races? Any that you're planning on signing up for?

15 comments:

  1. Wow you SCORED at the thrift store!! Those books are fabulous! :)
    I've never taken a spin class, but I've always wanted to try. This post was so informative!
    Can't wait to hear what kinds of races you'll enter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to check out my set up because I actually own the exact model that is in the picture, but just set it up how feels comfortable! I really should take some time and get properly fit. Thanks for the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, spinning looks complicated, haha! I've never tried to do it, because I dislike bikes with an unnatural vehemency.. ANYWAYS, awesome finds! Doing a triathalon sounds SO COOL, I know you can do it! I did a 5k already this year, and now I want to tackle a half marathon over spring break and then either another or a full over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice!! I've only ever gone to one spin class, and I wish I had read this before hand. Thanks for sharing this - I felt totally lost when I went!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl I coulda guest posted this one! Well done though :). After the hypothermic half and around the bay 30k I want to get back into triathlon training. There's a whole lot of races and events I want to do but I think my big goal will be the Calgary Half Ironman in July!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going for my first spin class after a year so thus post cane at an ideal time! I'm excited to see what races you sign up for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to a spin class before! I want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips on setting up your spin bike. I feel like most people have their seats way too low. You lose a lot of power from your legs that way. My mom had those Moosewood cookbooks growing up and there are definitely some amazing recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bike tutorial is very helpful I always feel like I am just a little bit off!

    http://healthandfitnessnerd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just started regularly going to my gym's spin classes and am loving it! There was actually another semi-newbie in class that helped me set up my bike...it's kind of confusing the first time around. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fenders really highlight the whitewall tires as well, yet another feature that makes it one of the flashiest and fun-looking cruisers around Affordable Cruiser Bicycle.
    bicycle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for another informative website. The place else may just I am getting that
    type of information written in such a perfect method? I've a challenge that I'm
    simply now running on, and I've been on the look out for such info.
    Also visit my weblog ... Consumer portfolio services

    ReplyDelete
  15. I go to see each day some sites and sites to read articles,
    however this website offers feature based content.
    Also visit my web site how to make money with internet

    ReplyDelete