Saturday, January 28, 2012

The curry conundrum

Hey guys! Who else is super relieved that it's the weekend? I needed the break badly. I kicked it off last night by going out to dinner with my favourite foodie friend: A Dash of Meg!

It's restaurant week here, so that means that a bunch of London, Ontario's top restaurants offer dinners for only $25 each. It's a total steal! We've both been to a lot of the participating restaurants already, so we decided to try one that neither of us had been to. After perusing all the menus, we settled on The Braywick Bistro.



To start they brought us out some bread and olive oil with balsamic vinegar and herbs for dipping. I know good balsamic vinegar from the cheap kind - and this was definitely the good stuff!



For the appetizer I went with the baby spinach salad. It was simple, but the balsamic vinaigrette was really good!



For my entree I chose the chicken curry with chickpeas, pineapple, sweet peppers, carrots, and yellow zucchini in a coconut milk curry sauce served over saffron basmati rice and topped with green onion and black sesame seeds. It was absolutely amazing!



Except while I was eating it, my mouth started to feel tingly. And by the time I was done, my lips became seriously swollen! I started freaking out a bit, but the waitress assured me my meal didn't come into contact with any nuts, scallops, mussels, clams or oysters. So I was stumped. What the heck did I react to?

And then I remembered back to the fall when I made a curry and got an itchy rash after eating it... so I guess I'm allergic to curry?! Once I got home and did some googling, I found out that people who are allergic to nuts are often also allergic to fenugreek, which is a spice used in curry powder. I'm a little confused since I've eaten curry many times before, but I know some allergies can develop and get worse with repeated exposure, so that's probably what happened. At least my mystery has been solved, but on the downside that means no more curry for this girl. :(

Today I hit up the gym early for a chest + triceps workout and the rest of my day is devoted to readings, assignments, errands and laundry. Here's hoping for a productive day!

Have you ever discovered you have an allergy or intolerance to something you used to eat all the time?

What's your favourite kind of curry?

The Braywick Bistro on Urbanspoon

11 comments:

  1. I seriously can't get over the curry incident! I WAS SO WORRIED FOR MY BFF! <3 omg though - food was soooooooo good. Can't wait to go again with my girl :) ahhhhhhh love you darling.

    I am hoping to have a productive day too :) almost done the three days for our project xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dinner! I don't have any allergies, but grapefruit makes my throat itch! And some apples. What a pain the in the butt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the curry girl! At least you got to enjoy it one last time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I'm sorry to hear you had an allergic reaction! I'm glad you're alright though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dinner looks great! Sorry about the reaction! Thats no fun :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! Sorry to hear about the curry scare, that's a bummer :(
    I gotta say, it sure looked delicious though!
    Enjoy your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the curry incident! I've never had a severe reaction to anything but I have a small allergy to pineapple--if I eat a lot, it makes my mouth itch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boo I am sorry that curry was kind of a bummer! It does look good at least though haha

    ReplyDelete