Thursday, May 5, 2011

Halifax: Day 2

It seems like we just left for Halifax, but we’re already back home now. I wish we had more time to explore the city and try out all of its famous restaurants. But I’m sure I’ll visit it again soon!

On our second day, I got up bright and early at 6:30 am to get in a workout in our hotel’s fitness room. It was pretty tiny, but luckily I was the only one there so I got my pick of the machines. I did a 30 minute run on the treadmill then walked for a few minutes to cool down. By that time it was almost 7:30 am and I was getting hungry for breakfast, so I decided to wrap up my workout.



Mom and I had breakfast at our hotel’s restaurant, which I was excited to discover had oatmeal on its menu! It came plain just cooked in water, and I added my own banana, crumbled granola bar, and a special purchase from Pete’s Frootique: Simple Food cinnamon sugar soy nut butter! This is the first time I had this flavour, and it was amazing!!! But since I’m an airhead and left it in my purse, it got confiscated yesterday at the airport. I’m so bummed!



Afterwards we strolled around downtown and checked out some sights. And by “strolled around” I mean huffed and puffed up Halifax’s crazy hills. I realized at that point that I did not need to workout that morning because walking around the city was enough of a workout!!!

We saw tons of sights, like this crazy bookstore...



The clock tower on citadel hill...



And the harbour... it was cold and windy yesterday, but I bet it’s amazing to walk along the boardwalk in the summer!



For lunch my sister and Gus took me to their favourite sushi restaurant: Hamachi House.



I’m glad they are just as obsessed with sushi as me. I got the wakame salad and a salmon roll, like I usually do, but I also tried a new roll: the Halifax roll. Fitting, right? It had salmon, shrimp , tuna and cucumber in it. Yum!





Hamachi House on Urbanspoon

The rest of the afternoon was filled with errands and more walking around. It was pretty tiring. I was so thankful when we finally got to sit down for dinner at Cafe Chianti. I was also super excited because my best friend Allyson joined us. She goes to school in Halifax and I haven’t seen her in months!!



Dinner was filled with catching up, inappropriately funny conversations, and good food. I had a Greek salad to start and it was loaded with feta, just how I like it!



The real star of the show was my Romanesco pizza, topped with sundried tomatoes, artichokes, spinach, feta, and basil. It was so good that I demolished the whole thing.



Afterwards I regretted my eyes that were too big for my stomach because I felt uncomfortably full. I’ve realized that I have a really hard time with intuitive eating and I never know when to stop when I’m satisfied. It's hard to stop eating when something tastes so good!

Cafe Chianti on Urbanspoon

We pretty much waddled back to bed after that meal and crashed! Stay tuned for a recap of day 3. :)

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a great trip! I love it when restaurants have oatmeal on their menu, but unfortunately no one ever has GF oats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain abt the soy nut butter! My jar of Nuttzo got confiscated in the LA airport: $20 down the drain, it was painful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way with really good food. Occasionally something is just too good NOT to finish (like my favorite raw mint sundae!) but most of the time I just keep eating because it's yummy in general. Something I'm working on too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been anywhere with oatmeal on the menu, mmm it looks so yummy! That Romanesco pizza is making me so hungry right now. What an awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotten nut butter confiscated too! It's so annoying.
    That pizza looks amazing! Sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach when it comes to eating really good food, but I think it's okay once in a while. It's not like I eat that way everyday and I really like to be able to enjoy something special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That overload of feta looks to die for. I would have definitely eaten that whole pizza, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm all your eats look great! sounds like youre having fun in halifax =)

    and about good food - i totally do that too - but i think most people do that, and it's totally normal. eating doesn't have to be perfect - sometimes we will be uncomfortably full. our bodies can adjust to that, and we can just move on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seaweed salad is amazing! I really like the inside of Cafe Chianti; super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Halifax sounds like a cool place! That bookstore is crazy!! Haha, I'd get so lost in all those books. And your pizza seriously looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. just started reading your blog, i love it :) I actually live in Halifax! And i agree with you about the hills here, they are crazy! :) Glad you had a good time here, its a pretty good city

    ReplyDelete